The 3rd annual “Community Jam” Northern California conference for harvesting/gleaning organizations was Saturday May 30. At this year’s Jam we had 17 enthusiastic people representing 8 organizations together to share and learn from each other’s knowledge in the areas of gleaning / harvesting / produce recovery.
Susan Singley and Jeanine Lacore, GleanSLO
Lucie Vogel and Craig Diserens, Village Harvest
Sessions and Notes
The 2015 conference had an Introduction Roundtable, 2 morning topics, and 3 breakout session time slots with 3 topics each, and a Closing Session. Click on a topic link for the notes created.
“The Glean Scene: A National Perspective” (Craig Diserens, Village Harvest)
“Ask an Expert” Shared Group Q&A
- Empowering volunteer leadership
- Gleaning software: Using web-based tools
- Tools, equipment and harvesting techniques [not held, insufficient interest]
- Setting goals and measuring success
- Community-run orchards, gardens and urban agriculture
- Finding and keeping happy volunteers!
- Expanding harvest opportunities
- Food distribution: what do we do with all this produce?
- Working with farms, large and small scale
- Get recognized: Social media and marketing
Closing Session: Thinking BIG picture
Hashtags: #foodrecoveryuniverse #californiagleaning #gleanscene #thisisgleaning
This conference was generously supported by the The Good People Fund